I’ m Nimesha Ranasinghe, a Research Fellow at National University of Singapore. Prior to this position, I briefly worked with the New York University (NYU Abu Dhabi) as an Postdoctoral Research Associate. I completed my PhD at the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, National University of Singapore (NUS). In NUS, I conducted my research work at the Keio-NUS CUTE Center (formerly known as Mixed Reality Lab) of NUS. In 2007, I received my Bachelor of Science Honors degree in Information Technology from University of Moratuwa, Sri Lanka.
I have been working on several ongoing research works at the NUS such as Digital Taste, Petimo, Poetry Mix-Up, and Witz Alive AR. In the early stage of my career, I also worked on several R&D projects related to Automatic Teller Machines (ATM), Interactive Kiosk Systems, and mobile banking solutions at Interblocks Ltd and Dialog Telekom Ltd in Sri Lanka.
My current research interests include,
* Digital Multisensory Interactions (including taste and smell)
* Ubiquitous & Wearable Computing
* Human-computer Interaction and new media
* Digital control systems
* Embedded systems
* Augmented reality
Recently, my PhD research work on Digital Lollipop was selected as one of the best 10 innovations in the world in 2014 by netexplo forum in UNESCO. Further, I accepted an honorable mention at the Nokia Ubimedia MindTrek Awards 2012 Competition for my PhD work on Digital Taste Simulation.
Before I conclude my self-introduction, let me tell you a bit about my personality. I'm originally from Sri Lanka (“The Pearl of the Indian Ocean”), I moved to Singapore in 2008 for my Doctoral studies. I am a friendly person, very easy to talk to, love music and nature photography, and I prefer action than words!
* 2008 - 2013: PhD in Electrical and Computer Engineering, Faculty of Engineering, National University of Singapore
(Thesis title: "Digitally Stimulating the Sensation of Taste Through Electrical and Thermal Stimulation")
* 2003 - 2007: B.Sc. (Honours) in Information Technology, Faculty of Information Technology, University of Moratuwa, Sri Lanka
* 1993 - 2002: Nalanda College, Colombo, Sri Lanka
* Hardware - PIC, Atmel, Arduino, digital circuit design, PCB design, firmware development, 3D printing
* Software - C/C++, Java, Python, .NET framework (C#, C++), XML, Android development, MySQL, MsSQL
* Nov 2014 - Current: Research Fellow, National University of Singapore
* Feb 2014 - Nov 2014: Postdoctoral Research Associate, Design Technology Lab, New York University Abu Dhabi, UAE
* Dec 2012 - Feb 2014: Research Engineer at Keio-NUS CUTE Center, National University of Singapore
* Jan 2008 - Nov 2008: Software Engineer at Interblocks Pvt Ltd., Sri Lanka
* Aug 2006 - Aug 2007: Part Time Software Engineer at Dialog Telekom Ltd., Sri Lanka
* Feb 2006 - July 2006: Six months Internship as a Trainee Software Engineer at Dialog Telekom Ltd., Sri Lanka
* June 2005 - Dec 2005: Web Developer (part-time) in a UK based company, Sellenneuve Private Limited.
Copyright © 2014 - All Rights Reserved - Nimesha Ranasinghe